Thursday, November 7, 2013

RSC's Twelfth Night

One of my favorite Shakespeare plays to see performed will always be Twelfth Night. The first time I ever saw it performed was when I was about 10 and I just thought it was the funniest and saddest thing rolled into one, and I thought that was so cool. Plus, seeing family friends who are professional actors act as silly old men in yellow stockings and cross-gartered (ahem, Malvolio) as a little kid..priceless moment.

For part of my mom's birthday celebration extravaganza, we went to see Twelfth Night on Broadway with Mark Rylance as Olivia and Stephen Fry as Malvolio... This production came from the Royal Shakespeare Company. They do things the old fashioned way, men play women's roles and all! To add to the specialness of this performance, we had seats on the stage. So cool! Also, the actors put on their costumes and makeup on stage before the performance... it was such a cool experience. Obviously I couldn't take pictures of the show, but needless to say, it was brilliant. You should definitely see it if you have a chance. (Tickets and info)

Excited for the show to start!



It seems Sarah from Note to Self was there the same evening and snapped a picture... look how cool it is! I was literally two feet to the left of this photo.
{via instagram}

We took a lovely walk around outside afterwards. Perfect city weather.



{taken by me}

This also helped me work on two items on my 101 in 1001 list: the play was part of celebrating my mom's "big year" birthday as well as seeing at least one production of every Shakespeare play!

No comments:

Post a Comment